RAPID was established in 1994 by Derry City & Strabane District Council (Derry City Council as was) the local government authority. to work with rural communities to identify needs/issues in these communities and to help address them by:
• Advocating on behalf of and with people and community organisations to address these needs… to ensure that the statutory agencies with a responsibility for these issues delivered for people and communities across the Council’s rural catchment
• Building the capacity of rural people and community organisations to address needs, issues, challenges and realise opportunities
• Develop and deliver solutions to needs, issues, challenges and opportunities where and when required
RAPID achieves these via funded actions and a partnership approach as follows:
• RAPID has extensive experience in the management and administration of funded programmes e.g. delivered LEADER+ and other EU programmes
• RAPID has extensive experience working with the rural community and has specific experience of working with farming groups, community organisations, private sector and statutory agencies
• RAPID work closely with Derry City and Strabane District Council (DCSDC), Department of Agriculture and Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) and other partners to deliver development programmes and environmental initiatives which work within well defined strategies
• RAPID has a strong track record in the facilitation of good relations/peace and reconciliation work in rural communities across Derry City and Strabane District Council area. It has designed and delivered programmes/projects on behalf of The Executive Office (TEO), the Council’s Good Relations Core Funding Programme and the PEACE III and IV programmes
RAPID has also delivered LEADER II, LEADER+, EU PEACE II & EU PEACE III & PEACE IV Programmes. RAPID has also been involved in trans-national programmes such as INTERREG III and was a partner in the CINERGY programme under NPP INTERREG IV (2007-2013) and are currently a partner in the CLIMATE Project funded under NPA INTERREG VB programme. RAPID were recently lead partner on the Faughan Valley Landscape Partnership Scheme (2011-2015) a £2million heritage, culture and tourism programme funded by Heritage Lottery Fund, Forest Service, Derry City and Strabane District Council and Woodland Trust. RAPID are also the delivery agent of the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs local rural support service within the Derry City & Strabane District Council area.
RAPID advocate the “leader approach” to rural development which is a method of harnessing local knowledge to enable a “bottom up”, community led approach to delivery of funding in rural areas. The Leader approach can be used to deliver a range of Programme objectives and will help achieve integration. RAPID are strong advocates of this approach as it enables us to provide a ‘one stop shop’ where all aspects for rural development can be catered for.